Celebrity solicitor Gerald Kean was rushed to hospital last weekend after collapsing at a Dublin social event. Kean had been at a fashion show in the RDS in Dublin when he fell ill and collapsed unconscious. He was rushed by ambulance to nearby St Vincent's Hospital.
Speaking to the Sunday Tribune, the 50-year-old denied rumours his collapse had been caused by a heart attack. "Although people might have thought it was a heart attack, I'm diabetic and what happened was I had too much insulin which triggered a diabetic attack."
Earlier that morning Kean had been a guest on a Newstalk discussion show.
He said: "I did Newstalk in the morning and then I went up to a cafe in Ballsbridge for lunch. As a diabetic you are not supposed to eat anything with sugar but if you do, you're supposed to take more insulin. For some reason I thought I was going to be having a big lunch. To balance it I took a big dose of insulin but I ended up just having a salad instead.
"The result was within about half an hour of leaving the cafe and going up to the RDS, I'd collapsed and was in a coma."
Kean was rushed to nearby St Vincent's Hospital and remained in the insulin-induced coma for a further 30 minutes. He has since made a full recovery.
"I think somewhere along the way people may have seen me stretchered out of the RDS or going into St Vincent's on a trolley, unconsicious, and assumed I'd had a heart attack. But it was nothing more than a diabetic attack caused by too much insulin," he said.
Meanwhile RTÉ's head of radio Ana Leddy was taken away by ambulance from the annual PPI Radio Awards in Kilkenny last Friday night.
Arriving for the ceremony the RTÉ executive fell outside the entrance of the Lyrath House Estate Hotel and required hospital treatment.
She was well enough to return to the awards later in the evening at which RTÉ Radio 1 won national station of the year and broadcaster Marion Finucane won the outstanding achievement award.
Last month Kean launched a new organisation that aims to provide information about infections acquired within the health system. Both of his parents contracted MRSA in hospitals although it was not the cause of their deaths.
His mother, Patricia, who died in 2002 aged 65, was in hospital for many months with emphysema when she contracted MRSA. His father, also Gerald, who had cancer and died in 2000 aged 63, was not as severely infected with the hospital-acquired bug.
Keane has represented many people in civil actions against the state in relation to MRSA.