Michael Jackson's father filed a wrongful death lawsuit on Friday against the doctor charged with giving the star a lethal dose of sedatives a year ago, accusing the Nevada doctor of negligence, secrecy and poor training.
Joe Jackson sued Dr Conrad Murray on the anniversary of Jackson's death in federal court in Los Angeles.
The complaint, which seeks more than €60,000, accuses Murray of professional negligence for providing the singer with a mix of sedatives, including the anaesthetic propofol, that authorities say killed him.
Propofol is usually administered only in hospitals, but Murray had been providing Jackson with the drug in the bedroom of the singer's rented mansion in Los Angeles. Joe Jackson contends the physician tried to conceal his administration of the drug after Jackson's death.
Murray has pleaded not guilty to an involuntary manslaughter charge filed in February. His lawyers have said he did not give Jackson anything that "should have" killed him. His civil attorney, Charles Peckham, repeated that assertion yesterday.
"We'd like to remind people that Dr Murray has not been found guilty of anything and we believe his innocence will be proven in a court of law," Peckham said.
The lawsuit came as fans around the world were mourning Jackson. Joe Jackson was not seen at two of the locations – the unveiling of a statue in the family's hometown of Gary, Indiana, and the California cemetery where his son is buried.
It is unclear what money, if any, Joe Jackson will be able to collect if he wins. Even before Michael Jackson's death, Murray faced mounting debts and adverse judgments over unpaid bills and child support. His €120,000 a month contract to be Jackson's personal physician was never signed, and his attorneys have said he is barely hanging on financially.
The complaint leaves the door open to additional defendants being added.