Toure de force: Kolo's opener allied to his brother Yaya's later finish ensured Manchester City's 4-3 win over Wolves was a rare game in English league history as two brothers scored in the same match

Edin Dzeko made his £27million introduction for Manchester City – and was immediately upstaged by strike partner Carlos Tevez as the Blues secured top spot in the Premier League by edging a seven-goal thriller at Eastlands. Indeed, as the game reached its closing stages, Wolves looked certain to claim a point as part of an admirable comeback.

Tevez, however, joined Dimitar Berbatov at the head of the Premier League goalscoring charts with a second-half double to take his tally to 14, accompanying Kolo and Yaya Toure on the scoresheet as the brothers achieved the rare feat of finding the net in the same top-flight game. It must have been quite an eye-opener for Dzeko, who produced an encouraging performance on his debut.

Wolves, however, almost upstaged both him and Tevez. City were totally outplayed for the first half-hour, then needed to resist a late Wolves surge after the Black Country outfit had pulled themselves back into a contest that had already been turned on its head after their initial heroics.

City cannot have expected to be rolled over quite so easily as they were in that opening 30 minutes, as Wolves' 1-0 lead could have been a lot worse.

It should not have come as a total surprise. After all, Wolves beat City at Molineux earlier this season and accounted for both Liverpool and Chelsea during the Christmas period. Still, the one-sided manner of the contest was a shock.

Roberto Mancini's side were already wobbling when Kolo Toure blasted a clearance into Vincent Kompany, the rebound dropping kindly for Nenad Milijas, who finished at the second attempt. Joe Hart denied Milijas shortly afterwards when the Serbian powered a header towards goal.

Matt Jarvis must have thought he had scored when he pulled the trigger on a shot from 12 yards. Instead, Aleksandar Kolarov flung himself in the way to preserve a fragile state of affairs.

But once Adam Johnson had forced Wayne Hennessy into an excellent feet-first save, Wolves began to assume the air of a side who could not wait for the interval to come. Unfortunately for them, the clock did not speed round quickly enough.

Tevez was only just wide with a fizzing shot before Kompany got his head to Johnson's corner. Kolo Toure controlled, then went for goal, ignoring the crowd of bodies in his way. His decision proved correct as the shot beat Hennessy, bounced through David Jones' legs and eventually over the line.

It created the platform for normal service to be resumed after half-time.

As spectators were still taking their seats, Tevez picked up possession on the angle of the area and exploded into life, bursting through to slip City in front.

City's third then owed much to a neat one-two between Dzeko and Tevez just inside the Wolves half. The Bosnian sent Yaya Toure clean through with a perfect through ball to finish.

Dzeko came close to a debut goal when his deflected shot flew narrowly wide, but Tevez was in no mood to offer reprieves and the Argentina star's header bounced in via the bar.

Amazingly, within seconds Wolves had pulled one back, Doyle getting to his feet to score from the spot after he had been bundled over by Joleon Lescott.

Zubar added another to set up a frantic ending, which would have been sickening for City had Geoffrey Mujangi Bia's shot deflected into the net.